Tuesday, September 05, 2006

[Open Source Adventure #1] Dad's Site

My dad wanted me to create a site for him.

I wanted to make it my first try to do it using all open source tools.

Might as well tell why I'm doing it?
Well I guess I am speaking on behalf of a group where they like
things more challenging, and a tad bit sensitive on the moral issues of
computing/IT field.

And plus, it's something special. I stand out if I start supporting open source.
I like that idea. Standing out. And plus, if I do make the site look as professional
as those using pirated top-notch softwares - speaking of the college going part time
web developers - I can say I am a "superman"(Niche), and I like that idea.

Yup, so~ intentions aside, I will describe how I will ponder this meritable idea!

Oh and I do have to mention I never have even used these tools before hand.
So if I make a site that is awesome using them, I am going to be aroused and get high, immensely.
Yes my writing sucks.

Facts:
Site: www.onmorie.com
Timeframe:
  • 1st Milestone: within 24 hours - basic layout and rough draft goes online
  • 2nd Milestone: within this week - Web 2.0 look and feel, redesigning.
Payment: free..I'm his son for crying out
Capabilities:
  • Ease of backend management - i.e. uploading files, updating entries. Code-free mng.
  • Blogging
  • CMS
  • Shopping Mall
  • Forum
  • Static hard data management
==================================================

Tools I'll use:

1) Nvu:best rated, of ones I know, webpage developing IDE-ish tool.
Yes.. this platform independent piece of tool is thought to be the open-source counterpart of Dreamweaver. So let's see how good it'll be!

2) Gimp: who wouldn't know this awesome counterpart of Photoshop.
Singlehandedly the best in free graphic editing field, cross platform. Again, no deep experience with it.




3) FTP: Smartftp
Well.. I use this alot of times.

4) CMS: Drupal
It seems rightful that I start learning this thing already! One of the most recommended open-source Content Management System.


==============================================================
So.. let's go on forth this adventure!!!
***update will be in a summation blog entry,***
after reaching the milestones.***

No comments: