Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Open Source Web Developer's Little Tool

I am a computer science major, but I never had the motivation to actually
program applications, because I am pretty lazy when it comes to initiating, creating, and refining ideas.

Maybe that was one of the reason why I feared Windows app development -
the whole process is a daunting thing to overcome.

However, Winbinder changed all of that!

WinBinder is a new open source extension for PHP, the script programming language. It allows PHP programmers to easily build native Windows applications. Click here for more information.

In short, it allows users to use PHP to develop windows apps, and you would know
how forgiving PHP is when it comes to syntax. Plus, the wrapper functions are much
easier than the actual Windows API!

Main reason why I found this on my Google search was, and this is how this links into the blog,
that I was learning how to make rounded corners by CSS. I came across this idea that
I could make a program that, when given sliced images of the rounded corner design made in GIMP,
would produce the html and stylesheet.

Sure, that wouldn't by itself make an award-winning site, but it would clear away
alot of busywork trying to get it to show correctly even in Firefox, as they do need tuning.
Using the program, preliminary preparation is done, and you only need to worry more about
the design problems, rather than menial tuning work.

Today I finished the program, and got it to actually create css and html files, and I am loving
WinBinder's simpleness in approaching Windows development. They also have a .exe maker,
since the file you make is actually .phpw (it's like .php), and it uses the php interpreter.
Oh yeah. Did I mention NO COMPILATION TIME?

Anyways.. I'll figure out how to make this into a .exe file and make it available on the blog,
if someone wants it. Email me if you're interested?

http://www.neuroticweb.com/recursos/css-rounded-box/index.php?color=ae4353&fondo=646464
there is also the above app which actually makes!! rounded corners, but it's without images.
Therefore, simple rounded edges can be made, but would be too simple.

No comments: